Action Figures and Heroes
Since their initial success in the 1960's with infantry soldiers
, you can collect them all!
Kids love to playduty plastic and the details are kept to a minimum. When shopping, besides looking at brands or what's hot, be sure to consider the following points:
When you're a kid, there's nothing like tearing off the wrapping paper to reveal your first comic
appeals to your son or daughter and picking something up. Below are some great toys, divided by age appropriateness.
For Young Kids
For Older Kids
You know how some people say they're action figures, not dolls? Well here in Collector's Corner, they're not action figures, they're collectibles. For those just starting out, start with a concept that you want to stick with for at least a little while rather than just buying whatever you see. For example, say you want to make a grab for products
* '''Research''': Know what you are looking for before you start shopping, including what the going rates are for that particular item, any fluctuations in the price and/or value, and where you can find it. Internet forums are an excellent place to get started. Also look into magazines
and newsletters about collecting action figures for a place to start.
* '''Relax''': Collecting takes time. It doesn't just happen overnight.
* '''Be persistent''': Check frequently with your local or Internet toy store to be on top of any updates or new shipments.
* '''Be thorough''': When scoping out stores for action figures, be sure to look everywhere: behind products, on top or bottom shelves, and anywhere that's far from reach. Often there will be gems stashed where the store employees hope you won't be looking.
Collecting has its own set of terms with which to set acrossboard standards. Here are some of the most essential things to know about the value of an action figure. You should also check out Raving Toy Maniac's Action Figure Collecting Glossary
* '''All Original (A/O)''': Complete with all items, and accessories included in the original box.
* '''Never Removed From Box (NRFB)''': The most valued type of all original collector's items.
* '''Mint in the Box (MIB)''': A perfect condition action figure with the box.''''''''''''''''
* '''Mint in Package (MIP)''': Means the accessories are still in their packages.
* '''Mint and Complete''': Everything is together and it's all in good condition.
* '''Mint No Box (MNB)''': Valuable, but not as much as if it had the box.
* '''Near Mint (NM)''': Good, but not in perfect condition. Usually there is no box.
* '''Ratings''' for the quality of a given action figure are based on two scales.
** There is the C Scale (ranging from C1 to C10, with 10 being perfect and 1 being very poor quality) and the AFA (Action Figure Authority) percentage ratings, based on a scale from 1 to 100.
** The only action figures that are thought to be valuable are those that have a C rating of nine or higher and/or an AFA rating of 85% or more.
* Classic Kids' Toys
* Collectibles and Memorabilia
* Diecast Model Car Collectibles
* Toys and Games